The Association of Polish Fruit Growers is a non-political and self-governing association, acting for and in the interests of Polish fruit growers. It was established in May 1999, on the initiative of fruit growers of the Grójec region – a region called the “Largest Orchard in Europe.” The members of the Union of Polish Fruit Growers as well as Partner Organisations mainly specialise in the production of: apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black currants, aronia (chokeberries), cherries, gooseberries and black cherries.
The APFG’s activities are focussed on the following strategic points:
- promoting fruit consumption and healthy diets;
- representing the needs and interests of professional fruit growers;
- conducting advisory services in the area of fruit production;
- initiating changes in legislation concerning activities in the area of fruit growing;
- undertaking measures in order to create durable legal, economic and organisational foundations for the strengthening of Polish fruit growing as well as its integration within the market of the European Union;
- spreading technological, economic and legal knowledge related to the fruit-growing sector;
- activities supporting the economic growth of the fruit-growing sector, including entrepreneurial development;
- activities promoting ecological methods of production and protection of the natural environment;
- activities supporting European integration, development of contacts, cooperation and experiences between societies;
- assistance in obtaining funds from the European Union and the national budget;
- forming opinions and assessments on the subject of fruit production;
- commenting and expressing opinions on matters of concern to fruit growers;
- fostering camaraderie and peer support.
Among the many campaigns and initiatives of educational and promotional nature conducted by the Association of Polish Fruit Growers, it is worth mentioning the three-year informational and promotional campaign entitled: “An Apple Every Day” in Russia and Ukraine, organisation of speeches at the International Fruit and Vegetable Trade Fair FRUIT LOGISTICA in Berlin, the two-year informational and promotional campaign entitled: “Eat vitamins and get better” addressed to children in hospital wards, the three-year campaign “The uncommon properties of common fruits” promoting berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and black currants in Poland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Finland and Sweden, as well as the two-year campaign entitled: “Time for apples from Europe” in the markets of Algeria and Egypt. Additionally, the APFG was a co-organiser of the program of apple promotion “Polish Apples of High Quality” and the organiser of the International Raspberry Conference in Lublin under the auspices of the International Raspberry Association.